Sunday, May 8, 2011

How awesome is this?

I know all of you want to be JUST like this wonderful Saint woman! (Article in Arizona Beehive April 2011-July 2011)

"Sunbeam Teacher Released After 30 years

By: Evelyn Hendrix
Shown at right, surrounded by members of her last Primary class, is Ra-Nae Amadio, who was recently released after 30 consecutive years as a Sunbeam teacher. Photo by Barbie Marziale.

It was a bittersweet day in February when Ra-Nae Amadio was released from her calling. After 30 consecutive years of teaching the Sunbeam class, she knew it was time to retire. But the 75-year-old will always love “her” three- and four-year-olds.
“I’ve been through six bishops,” Sister Amadio says, “and about 10 Primary presidents.” She was first called to teach in 1981 in the Mesa First Ward. She is now a member of the Lehi First Ward in the Lehi Stake.

Sister Amadio estimates that she has taught a couple hundred children. “A lot have gone on missions. Some have come back and thanked me for the things I taught them.” She has taken her calling seriously and says her success is simple. “I’m there for one purpose: to teach them how to progress in the gospel,” she says. “It’s not babysitting.” She has seen a few changes in Primary in the past 30 years, but the messages in the lessons are the same simple gospel principles.

Through the years, Sister Amadio has honed her teaching skills and discovered the importance of making the children feel loved and safe. At the beginning of the year, she meets with each new Sunbeam individually. “I show them the lesson book and talk to them about activities we will have. Then they aren’t nervous about coming to a new class.” Sister Amadio also takes a photo of each child and puts it on their “special” chair, so they feel at home. She doesn’t believe in simply reading a lesson and handing out crayons and paper. “We act out the stories in the lessons,” she adds. “We also act out the Primary songs so they know them. We have a really good time.”

“In 30 years, I’ve only missed six or seven Sundays,” Sister Amadio says.
Over the years, she has collected many wonderful memories. “One time, after I’d been sick, a little boy said, ‘We thought maybe you’d gone to heaven.’” She has taught both the children and grandchildren of a ward member and enjoys seeing all the children as they grow older. “One of my Sunbeams is 55 years old now,” she says with a chuckle. Although she will no longer be in the Primary, Sister Amadio will still be surrounded by children. She is the mother of three grown children and a grandmother, and she also has been a foster mother for 28 years. She especially loves newborns and is currently caring for a two-month-old baby girl.

“I just love working with kids,” Sister Amadio says. She says the most important tip she would give new Sunbeam teachers is to simply love them. “Wait for them at the door, smile and give them a big hug!”