Good afternoon friends!
I truly hope you had a wonderful Stake Conference weekend--a Sunday off, for most of you. :) I hope you enjoyed the Spirit as I did. Elder Gibson, an Area Seventy, visited and had some great stories. I'm still thinking about poor Modine. ;)
As I ponder about that story and others told, I felt impressed to share my thoughts with you. As Elder Gibson suggested, I have asked myself, "What have I heard that has not been spoken?" Since there was little mention of Primary directly, most of what I heard must have been the Spirit teaching me directly.
Here's what I learned (and hope to incorporate into my life):
From Saturday night-- "and she still continues to fast to this day"....This was a story about his wife and how she fasts every week for their son. She started when he was 12 and still fasts every week for him and his family and he's now 35. I was touched by the miracle her small sacrifice made in her son. I have, also, seen the blessings of fasting, but not to this extent. I thought of my children and their struggles and I thought of the children in the Primary. Then I thought of you, our Primary leaders and the struggles YOU face. So, I made a resolution. I have faith miracles will happen---small or large, nonetheless miracles.
At the end, he said something that just kept ringing in my ears after he said it. He said, "Sometimes we make obedience harder than it is." He referenced the scripture Alma 37:20, "Therefore I command you, my son Helaman, that ye be diligent in fulfilling all my words, and that ye be diligent in keeping the commandments of God as they are written." This so spoke to me. When we're commanded to do something--just do it...as we're commanded. If we're asked to serve--just do it...as we're asked. Over and over I have heard blessings come to those who are obedient. May we be so obedient as it is written and as we are asked.
Sunday morning-
-President Layton--don't let technologies distract us. For Primary--please let us show our kids the proper way to use the technology given to us, particularly in our meetings.
-The Gospel is here, in our lives, to keep us safe. The covenants we make, the Spirit we allow to travel with us on our journey is with us to keep us safe and help us return. Please continue to teach the children the correct principles of the Gospel so they can continue to face the world and stay safe. We, as leaders, can not afford to be "spiritually complacent", especially when we are front and center teaching the children. They see what we do more than they hear what we say. Plus, if we are acting in a righteous way, the Spirit will help us teach what needs to be taught.
--Sis. Gwilliam (wife of 1st counselor Mesa Temple presidency)- Loved her story about her daughter--may we all remember how we want our children to emulate us. She also spoke much about the temple and the power within and the power we walk out armed with! She said, "As we go to the temple, we can receive a fullness of the Holy Ghost. Who doesn't need a fullness of the Holy Ghost?". She's so right!
Elder Gibson- Do we seek to have the Holy Ghost with us and qualify to have Him with us always? As we do this, he can guide us and tell us "all things what ye should do", regardless of the subject matter. I know I can work on this.
Also from the story about poor Modine, I was touched by her "not wanting to leave because of the loving influence of those around her". I thought immediately of you who serve with us in Primary. I hope you know how much we love you. I wondered how we could serve you more, teach you more, so you feel like you never "want to leave because of the loving influence of those around" you. Sure I feel this for the children too, but the children often come regardless and I pray they feel the love we have for them. However, when our leaders aren't feeling the love, they may choose not to participate and a viscous cycle begins and unity falls apart.
Maybe that was a little far stretching--certainly probably not what he meant when he told the story, but this is what the Spirit spoke to me. This is largely why we made this blog--so we could teach more, share more and become more unified with you, like we're all on the same team.
Now, because we're on the same team, we need to hear from you! We need to know how we can help you. Granted, the coach doesn't always allow for change in the middle of the season. Sometimes, you've got to play the same position for bit longer before a change can come. And, sometimes, changes happen before you're ready (and willing) to switch. Sometimes, the coach will put you in a position you've never played before and never desired to play.....to learn, to grow.
With that, changes may be coming to a Primary near you. Stay tuned, we'll let you know if you are affected. Many of you will not be--some will. Please understand that the changes coming are not flippantly made. Please know we have prayed much regarding them. I would encourage you do to the same.
We love you! We support you! Please let us know how we can help you.
